Friday, January 27, 2012

New Vice

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but during winter vacation one of my vice-principals moved to Hong Kong. Now, he's managing a bilingual school somewhere overseas with a handful of other Japanese teachers. As a result, a new vice-principal arrived in my village around the beginning of the new year. He took up residence in one of the apartments above me, and seems to be an all-around nice guy. Although he isn't fluent in English like the previous vice-principal was, we can still communicate easily enough.

As is typical whenever welcoming a new teacher to the village, we threw him a welcome party on Tuesday. It was your typical run-of-the-mill drinking party, which usually consists of: 1) an introduction by the party organizer, 2) an introduction from the head of the teachers, 3) some welcoming words from the principal, 4) some words of thanks from the new teacher, 5) some kind of wacky game, and 6) a ton of drinking and eating.

In this case, we ate everything from fried chicken to rice pudding. The amount of food tends to border on the obscene, so I just eat what I can and let the others take home what I don't finish. There was delicious tuna, salad, sushi, and even marinated shrimp. Also, because most of the other teachers commute from far away, there was plenty of non-alcoholic beer. I hope the new vice-principal feels welcome. Luckily, I can take a break from welcoming new teachers now. These parties can be very expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment